Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/11/2021 8:41:02 AM  4 votes
Todd M

I wish it would just finally stop. Before it's nothing but posters picking at other posters. Its not there yet but its close. I'm not saying I want to sing kumbayah with every person who's ever posted buz geez, admit it, some really good posters don't post and share information bc there's this forever labeling and side choosing and moral compass fights.

Let's be better.
Post #: 1576
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/11/2021 8:52:32 AM   
Hats4Bats

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hats4Bats

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

Smith - Marsette hilights... This was what we needed. PUMPED

Lengthy hilight reel.. but worth it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pR7m07KLqA

Nate Stanley looks pretty good in these, as well!

When I watched the Marsette Highlight I saw a player good at catching contested passes who seemed to have to catch far too many contested passes. In a highlight reel particularly shouldn't he be getting wide open?

If he's willing to work and learn, he's got two very good route runners to help him get wide open to learn from.

I expect Marsette to make the team and maybe even be our #3 eventually. I just am not too excited regarding him at this point. When I watched JJ highlights last year he was almost always wide open.

He can return punts...

so He can contribute there right away.

And in the attached highlights above he was open a lot.
I wouldn't expect JJ level burst onto the scene, but I do think he will be a big part of our offense eventually.

Is this based on his zero punt returns at Iowa? He literally never even caught a punt in a game in college, so why why the declaration of certainty that he can contribute as a punt returner right away?

I am optimistic about him and all the draft picks, as I always am because I'm a fan, but we don't have to embrace fiction or fantasy. The Iowa State RB is very fast, but for some reason couldn't get carries in college...in spite of being a very fast one-cut runner. Maybe he'll be great, maybe he'll be a poor man's Michael Bennett. Smith-Marsette has actual game production to base optimism on, but never as a punt returner. But people tout the pick based in part on his immediate impact as a punt returner (not just you). I have to say I don't get it.

Question to the team? Who will handle Punt Returns this year? I actually have no idea?

Whop Philyor
Chad Beebe
Mike Hughes
KJ Osborn
Kene Nwangwu
Blake Proehl

A very uninspiring group

Sign a free agent that could pass as a 4th or 5th WR

Jamal Agnew
Tavon Austin
Tyler Ervin
Pharoh Cooper
Andre Roberts

It's really much more of an issue than KO return, and I don't have any idea. It could be Smith-Marsette, Beebe, Hughes (why not?), Osborn if he's shown anything in the offseason, etc.

Maybe this will be our 3rd wide out and PR/KR

According to ESPN reporter Josina Anderson, the Vikings are interested in the former Jaguars WR Dede Westbrook. Westbrook has had early successes in his career so far, and would join a talented receiver room with Justin Jefferson and Adam Thielen.

The interest comes in no surprise as Vikings hired former Jaguars WR coach Keenan McCardell this off-season. McCardell is a big fan of Dede Westbrook. The four year pro had a quiet season last year, but would get plenty of opportunities on a Vikings’s squad looking for some much needed depth.

The signing would provide the Vikings with a quality third option in the wide receiving core and would allow Viking’s rookie Ihmir Smith-Marsette some time to develop and gain some strength. Stay tuned for more news regarding the situation.

Attachment (1)

Hats for Bats - - Keep Bats warm
Post #: 1577
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/11/2021 9:09:45 AM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

When I watched the Marsette Highlight I saw a player good at catching contested passes who seemed to have to catch far too many contested passes. In a highlight reel particularly shouldn't he be getting wide open?

If he's willing to work and learn, he's got two very good route runners to help him get wide open to learn from.

I expect Marsette to make the team and maybe even be our #3 eventually. I just am not too excited regarding him at this point. When I watched JJ highlights last year he was almost always wide open.

He can return punts...

I wouldn't expect JJ level burst onto the scene, but I do think he will be a big part of our offense eventually.

Is this based on his zero punt returns at Iowa? He literally never even caught a punt in a game in college, so why why the declaration of certainty that he can contribute as a punt returner right away?

I am optimistic about him and all the draft picks, as I always am because I'm a fan, but we don't have to embrace fiction or fantasy. The Iowa State RB is very fast, but for some reason couldn't get carries in college...in spite of being a very fast one-cut runner. Maybe he'll be great, maybe he'll be a poor man's Michael Bennett. Smith-Marsette has actual game production to base optimism on, but never as a punt returner. But people tout the pick based in part on his immediate impact as a punt returner (not just you). I have to say I don't get it.

Question to the team? Who will handle Punt Returns this year? I actually have no idea?

Whop Philyor
Chad Beebe
Mike Hughes
KJ Osborn
Kene Nwangwu
Blake Proehl

A very uninspiring group

Jamal Agnew
Tavon Austin
Tyler Ervin
Pharoh Cooper
Andre Roberts

It's really much more of an issue than KO return, and I don't have any idea. It could be Smith-Marsette, Beebe, Hughes (why not?), Osborn if he's shown anything in the offseason, etc.

According to ESPN reporter Josina Anderson, the Vikings are interested in the former Jaguars WR Dede Westbrook. Westbrook has had early successes in his career so far, and would join a talented receiver room with Justin Jefferson and Adam Thielen.

The interest comes in no surprise as Vikings hired former Jaguars WR coach Keenan McCardell this off-season. McCardell is a big fan of Dede Westbrook. The four year pro had a quiet season last year, but would get plenty of opportunities on a Vikings’s squad looking for some much needed depth.

The signing would provide the Vikings with a quality third option in the wide receiving core and would allow Viking’s rookie Ihmir Smith-Marsette some time to develop and gain some strength. Stay tuned for more news regarding the situation.

I saw this, too. Seems like a great option this late in the game, or maybe no matter the timing. I don't know a lot about him, but a quick scan looks promising.
Post #: 1578
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/11/2021 9:09:52 AM   
Hats4Bats

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He can return punts...

Whop Philyor
Chad Beebe
Mike Hughes
KJ Osborn
Kene Nwangwu
Blake Proehl

A very uninspiring group

Jamal Agnew
Tavon Austin
Tyler Ervin
Pharoh Cooper
Andre Roberts

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1579
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/11/2021 9:27:48 AM  2 votes
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I wish it would just finally stop. Before it's nothing but posters picking at other posters. Its not there yet but its close. I'm not saying I want to sing kumbayah with every person who's ever posted buz geez, admit it, some really good posters don't post and share information bc there's this forever labeling and side choosing and moral compass fights.

Let's be better.

+1

Seems like we're getting some spill over from the unmonitered political thread.

The posters that are carrying grudges with other posters need to leave it at the door step.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1580
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/11/2021 9:37:21 AM   
Todd M

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He can return punts...

Whop Philyor
Chad Beebe
Mike Hughes
KJ Osborn
Kene Nwangwu
Blake Proehl

A very uninspiring group

Jamal Agnew
Tavon Austin
Tyler Ervin
Pharoh Cooper
Andre Roberts

I saw this, too. Seems like a great option this late in the game, or maybe no matter the timing. I don't know a lot about him, but a quick scan looks promising.

I like it. 2 guys pushing to be 3 could make them both better.
Post #: 1581
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/11/2021 9:38:46 AM  1 votes
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

Let's be better.

+1

Seems like we're getting some spill over from the unmonitered political thread.

The posters that are carrying grudges with other posters need to leave it at the door step.

The Viking thread has it's own grudges that have nothing to do with the political thread. As far as "unmonitored" the last poster we removed was due to conduct on the political thread, so it clearly is monitored.

Beyond that, yes please let's put the grudges aside and talk football.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1582
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/11/2021 10:15:38 AM   
Hats4Bats

quote:

Let's be better.

Amen Todd.. I come in here because it is the best place to find out about our teams. Sometimes, I admit, I am a bit skittish about posting. Nobody should feel that way. Difference of opinion is one thing; attacks are another. I haven't been here long enough to know the history, but hope we can put it aside and get our Vikes to the "Big bowl" and WIN!

Post #: 1583
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/11/2021 11:05:02 AM   
TJSweens

The caveat with Dede Westbrook is that he did suffer an ACL tear last October. Still, I see no downside to bringing him in. We need an upgrade from Beebe and while Smith-Marsette could get there, he seems like a long term project at this point.

I have also heard the Vikings are interested in DE Ryan Kerrigan from Washington.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1584
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/11/2021 11:08:15 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

The caveat with Dede Westbrook is that he did suffer an ACL tear last October. Still, I see no downside to bringing him in. We need an upgrade from Beebe and while Smith-Marsette could get there, he seems like a long term project at this point.

I have also heard the Vikings are interested in DE Ryan Kerrigan from Washington.

That would be a good signing....very good player at Washington.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1585
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/11/2021 11:09:37 AM   
Phil Riewer

Kyle from Vikings Wire might need to follow the team closer:

Kyle Ratke
May 11, 2021 8:26 am
The Vikings might be getting some help opposite of Everson Griffen on the defensive line.

Per Darren Wolfson of KSTP in Minneapolis, the Vikings have shown interest in four-time Pro Bowl defensive end Ryan Kerrigan.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1586
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/11/2021 12:35:29 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

SOD. My favorite draft pick br far.

Especially when you consider his QB at Iowa was crap. Several of those plays, he had gotten wide open only to have to slow up and wait for the ball and the DB to get there.

That could explain why I saw him making so many contested catches.

Also he won't have the #1 CB on him....which would explain the tight coverage too.

The Vikes probably are only needing 20-30 catches from a third WR. 150-180 from Thielen/JJ. 40-50 from Irv. 30 to Cook.....so 100 catches from the rest?

You really think the coverage he faced at Iowa was better than what he will face in the nfl?

Really.

So Tom you think 20-30 catches for him/Bisi/Beebe isn't reality and is too obtuse?

I read somewhere that we went 3 wide last year fewer times than anybody else.

That supports the platoon approach that you are talking about (with average or not yet developed players) combining for 30-40 recs. Sufficient? yes.

but still ... as an example ...

IMO it would be a sin to under-bid Dede Westbrook by whatever because we can fall back on freaking Bisi / Beebe / Smith-Marsette ...

We might have no say in the matter at all, we might not have the money to be close but ... you know what I mean?

I am just tired of aiming low with our back-ups (mostly on offense with Zimmer).

WRs, Gs, before Mond it included back-up QB. With Rudolph gone, it now includes TE (if we run two TE sets more than anybody...)

Mond was an important investment of capital. and very non-Spielmanesque.

Same with G Davis. Spielman has never drafted 2 OL in the first 3 rounds.

Dede Westbrook would be a very solid addition. also very non-Spielmanesque. (I can't see it happening)

I understand that no team in the league has a B team of potential starters ... but we are so close to accumulating some solid depth this offseason and not just fillers ...

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 5/11/2021 12:39:20 PM >
Post #: 1587
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/11/2021 12:49:51 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Dede Westbrook would be a very solid addition. also very non-Spielmanesque. (I can't see it happening)

If he's trying to sign him at a discount because of injury, it would be very Spielmanesque.
Post #: 1588
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/11/2021 12:57:08 PM   
thebigo

quote:

I'm not sure I would want to plug in a DE at our WR3 spot.
Post #: 1589
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/11/2021 1:02:18 PM   
thebigo

quote:

Let's be better.

Historically, you're not exactly an innocent here. I would say you seem to have made a concerted effort more recently to avoid that crap.
Post #: 1590
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/11/2021 1:21:19 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

I don't believe I stated that they were. Paragraph 1 was about WR. Paragraph 2 was about Kerrigan at DE.

Post #: 1591
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/11/2021 1:23:13 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Let's be better.

Historically, you're not exactly an innocent here. I would say you seem to have made a concerted effort more recently to avoid that crap.

Todd didn't absolve himself. He said that he wished it it would stop. Let's be better or let us be better is self inclusive.

Post #: 1592
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/11/2021 1:24:57 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

I... believe I stated... Paragraph 1 was about WR...about Kerrigan...

OMG look! Clearly you were stating Kerrigan for WR!

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1593
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/11/2021 1:26:10 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

I... believe I stated... Paragraph 1 was about WR...about Kerrigan...

OMG look! Clearly you were stating Kerrigan for WR!

Sorry. I feel the complete fool.

Post #: 1594
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/11/2021 1:47:12 PM   
ratoppenheimer

if westbrook tore his acl last season he's not returning punts or kicks this year...hughes never really came back to that with any confidence....

if smith-marsette looks good during preseason, i say play him at wr3...he's got some stefon diggs in him, and by the 3rd/4th game he could find himself...maybe provide some spark - not just a possession guy....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1595
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/11/2021 1:52:29 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

if westbrook tore his acl last season he's not returning punts or kicks this year...hughes never really came back to that with any confidence....

if smith-marsette looks good during preseason, i say play him at wr3...he's got some stefon diggs in him, and by the 3rd/4th game he could find himself...maybe provide some spark - not just a possession guy....

What makes you say he has some Stefon Diggs in him? Diggs came into the league as a precision route runner. He arguably had the best double move in the NFL from day 1. Smith-Marsette has a lot of work to do on his route running.

Post #: 1596
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/11/2021 1:54:55 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Let's be better.

Great post. Let's all be respectful of each other. I don't always follow this advice, but I will try.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1597
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/11/2021 1:56:05 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He can return punts...

Whop Philyor
Chad Beebe
Mike Hughes
KJ Osborn
Kene Nwangwu
Blake Proehl

A very uninspiring group

Jamal Agnew
Tavon Austin
Tyler Ervin
Pharoh Cooper
Andre Roberts

I think Dede is worth a shot.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1598
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/11/2021 2:00:29 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

SOD. My favorite draft pick br far.

Especially when you consider his QB at Iowa was crap. Several of those plays, he had gotten wide open only to have to slow up and wait for the ball and the DB to get there.

That could explain why I saw him making so many contested catches.

Also he won't have the #1 CB on him....which would explain the tight coverage too.

The Vikes probably are only needing 20-30 catches from a third WR. 150-180 from Thielen/JJ. 40-50 from Irv. 30 to Cook.....so 100 catches from the rest?

You really think the coverage he faced at Iowa was better than what he will face in the nfl?

Really.

So Tom you think 20-30 catches for him/Bisi/Beebe isn't reality and is too obtuse?

I read somewhere that we went 3 wide last year fewer times than anybody else.

That supports the platoon approach that you are talking about (with average or not yet developed players) combining for 30-40 recs. Sufficient? yes.

but still ... as an example ...

IMO it would be a sin to under-bid Dede Westbrook by whatever because we can fall back on freaking Bisi / Beebe / Smith-Marsette ...

We might have no say in the matter at all, we might not have the money to be close but ... you know what I mean?

I am just tired of aiming low with our back-ups (mostly on offense with Zimmer).

WRs, Gs, before Mond it included back-up QB. With Rudolph gone, it now includes TE (if we run two TE sets more than anybody...)

Mond was an important investment of capital. and very non-Spielmanesque.

Same with G Davis. Spielman has never drafted 2 OL in the first 3 rounds.

I understand that no team in the league has a B team of potential starters ... but we are so close to accumulating some solid depth this offseason and not just fillers ...

I have a feeling we still may not have seen a guard drafted in the 3rd round if we didn't have 4 picks in that round. Having 4 picks allowed for non-Spielmanesque maneuvers such as drafting a QB in the third round.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1599
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/11/2021 2:01:47 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't believe I stated that they were. Paragraph 1 was about WR. Paragraph 2 was about Kerrigan at DE.

I got your back on this one. Bigo was reaching to bring the snark.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1600
Page:   <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode